When it comes to desserts, there’s nothing more rewarding than a boozy one. The sweetness eases itself into a booziness that creeps in stealthily giving you the urge to keep having more. This beer coffee cake does exactly that and more. The Walnut, Dates and Cinnamon fragrance give it just the right amount of flavour and the beer gives it a funky edge giving your taste buds a uniquely sweet treat.
The cake is perfect for breakfast, if you want your day to start on a high note, pun intended. Getting its leavening from beer, it can also work well as an accompaniment for a nice cup of tea especially due to its soft and moist nature.
- 340g plain flour
- 250g brown sugar
- 225g butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1.1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 60g lightly roasted chopped walnuts
- 140g pitted chopped dates
- a pinch of salt
- 2 cups beer
- Icing sugar (optional)
- Sift flour with baking powder, salt, cinnamon set aside. Dust the dates with some of this mixture.
- Cream butter with brown sugar till smooth and creamy.
- Add in eggs one at a time, mix well.
- Fold in flour alternately with the beer, blend well.
- Stir in walnuts and dates, mix well, scraping from the bottom and sides of the mixing bowl.
- Spoon batter into a well greased and flour-dusted pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven @ 180 deg C for 1 hr. 10 mins. till brown, test with a skewer till it comes out clean.
- Let cake stand in pan for about 20 mins before unmoulding and letting it cool completely on a wire rack.
- Dust with icing sugar, if desired.