Farmer’s Choice Roast Turkey With Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
- For the stuffing:
- 2 onions halved and sliced,
- 2.5g butter,
- 1kg Farmer’s Choice turkey stuffing (you can order via the contacts indicated below),
- 200g packet whole cooked chestnut, zest of 1 lemon,
- 15g packet flat-leaf parsley finely chopped,
- 85g fresh breadcrumb
- For the turkey:
- 1 onion quartered
- 2 lemons quartered
- 10g thyme sprigs
- 5.6kg Nightingale turkey (you can order via the contacts indicated below or your nearest retail supermarket)
- 85g soft butter
- 1 whole nutmeg
- 10 rashers Farmer’s Choice streaky bacon
- 125ml white wine
- First make the stuffing. Fry the onions in the butter for 10 minutes, until golden. Cool, then mix with the Farmer’s Choice stuffing, chopped parsley, lemon zest and bread crumbs. Roast and chop your chestnuts and add to the mix. Season well.
- Set aside half of the stuffing. Line a greased 500g loaf tin with bacon and half of the stuffing then bring the rashers round over the top and secure in place with cocktail sticks. Chill until ready to cook.
- Prepare the turkey. The night before, put the onion quarters, lemon halves and thyme sprigs in the cavity between the legs. Pack the reserved stuffing into the neck end. Secure the neck skin with skewers and tie the legs together. Weigh the turkey. Calculate the cooking time at 40 minutes per kilo, plus 20 minutes.
- Put a large sheet of extra-wide foil in a large roasting tin and put the turkey on top. Smear the breast with the butter, then grate over half of the nutmeg and season well. Cover with bacon, then pour over the glass of wine. Seal the foil well to make a parcel. Chill overnight.
- One the day, take the turkey out of the fridge 1 hour before roasting. Heat oven to 170 – 180℃. Put the turkey in the oven; then, 90 minutes before the end of cooking, remove foil and bacon and drain off the juices from the tin to us in the gracy. To test whether the turkey is cooked, push a skewer into the thickest part of the thigh — the juices should run clear. If they are pinkish, cook for 15 minutes more and test again.
- Transfer the turkey to a platter, cover with foil and let it rest for at least 30 minutes before carving. Meanwhile, cook the stuffing in the loaf tin for 30 minutes and reheat the bacon. Garnish with roasted potatoes and grilled vegetables and serve the stuffing loaf separately.