With the cold season long gone and the scorching sun proving it’s here to stay, nothing spells cooling off than a bowl of frozen vanilla custard. Here’s a quick recipe to whip up
- 5 large egg yolks
- ⅔ cup of white sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 ½ teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- ice cream maker
- With a whisk, mix the egg yolk, sugar and salt
- In a wok, heat the milk and cream while periodically stirring it to prevent it from sticking to the bottom. Let the mixture simmer for about 5-8 minutes then remove from heat.
- Whisk a ladleful of the milk-cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Add another ladleful and whisk thoroughly before adding the next (this will keep the eggs from cooking). Gradually add the remaining milk-cream mixture and whisk thoroughly. Whisk in the vanilla then let it cool.
- Pour cooled mixture into a pitcher; cover. Refrigerate until ice cold or overnight.
- Pour custard mixture into ice cream maker and process (according to manufacturer’s instructions) until custard reaches the consistency of soft ice cream, about 20 minutes. Quickly transfer to a plastic container. Place a piece of plastic wrap over the surface of the custard. Cover the container and freeze until custard is firm enough to scoop at least 3 hours.
- Serve in an ice cream bowl