If there’s one thing that parents adore is seeing their kids grow up healthy. From vegetarian dishes to delicious smoothies, these nutrient and vitamin-packed recipes will surely have them nourished and licking their fingers for more.
1. Smoothie Breakfast Bowl with Berries & Granola
- 2 cups almond milk/dairy milk
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup frozen peaches, mango or pineapple
- 1 ripe banana
- ½ cup fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- ¼ cup granola, more if desired
- Additional toppings: fresh fruit, nuts, coconut flakes, cacao nibs or chocolate chips
- Pour in the almond milk, coconut milk, frozen blueberries, frozen peaches, banana, spinach, chia seeds, flax seeds, a dash of vanilla extract (if desired) in a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a bowl and top with granola and fresh fruit.
- Serve immediately.
2. Avocado Toast
- Whole-grain bread
- Sesame seeds
- Hot Sauce
- Fried eggs
- Goat cheese
- Feta cheese
- Crispy bacon
- Sliced tomatoes
- Toast a piece of whole-grain bread lightly.
- Slice into strips that are easy to hold with the hands.
- Spread on a little mashed avocado and add the toppings of your choice (salt, sesame seeds, hot sauce, honey, fried eggs, goat cheese, feta cheese, crispy bacon and/or sliced tomatoes).
NB: The secret to keeping an avocado from turning brown is to cover the toast tightly with a plastic wrap.
3. Maple Roasted Carrots
- 1 ½ pounds carrots, sliced
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- In a large bowl, stir the carrots, butter, maple syrup, salt and pepper together.
- Spread evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet and roast, stirring once until tender for 20-25 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chives (if desired).
4. Kid-Friendly Salad
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 leaves romaine lettuce, washed, dried and torn into quarters
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ½ cucumber, cut into spears
- 1 medium apple, sliced
- In a small bowl, mix mayonnaise, vinegar, oil, poppy seeds, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Divide the dressing among 4 small bowls and serve with lettuce, carrot, cucumber and apple.
5. Ham Egg & Cheese Roll-Ups
- 10 eggs
- 2 tablespoon garlic powder
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ ounce shredded Cheddar
- 1 ounce baby spinach
- 1 ounce chopped tomatoes
- 20 slices ham
- Heat the broiler and crack the eggs in a large bowl then add the garlic powder and season with salt and pepper.
- Melt the butter in a large wok over medium heat. Add the eggs and scramble, stirring every 3 minutes. Stir in the cheddar until melted, then stir in baby spinach and tomatoes until combined.
- Place two slices of ham on a chopping board and top with a big spoonful of scrambled eggs and roll up. Repeat with the same procedure with the remaining ham and scrambled eggs.
- Place the roll-ups in a shallow baking dish and broil until the ham is crispy.