Yield: 12 cupcakes
Total Time: 1 hour
Active Time: 30 minutes
These delicious cupcakes contain no refined sugar—just the natural goodness of honey. Plus, instead of a heavy frosting, they are completed with puréed rhubarb for a gently tangy touch.
1/2 cup (125 grams) yogurt
1/3 cup (75 mL) oil
1 cup (170 mL) honey
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
1 ¼ cups (160 grams) flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C (350F).
- Mix the wet ingredients: In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the yogurt, oil, honey, lemon zest, and lemon juice and stir until they are combined.
- Mix the dry ingredients: In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir just until they are combined.
- Bake: Put cupcake liners into 12 muffin tins. Carefully spoon batter into each cupcake liner. Cook for 12-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool: Let the cupcakes cool for at least 15 minutes before topping each one with a spoonful of rhubarb compote. Enjoy!
4 cups fresh rhubarb (about 1 kilogram)
1 cup sugar (or honey), plus more to taste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
¼ cup water
- Chop the rhubarb stalks into small chunks, removing any dirty or limp sections as you go. Put the rhubarb, sugar, lemon juice, and water into a medium saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the rhubarb is very soft and begins to fall apart. Transfer the compote to a blender and blend until it’s very smooth.
- Use this compote to top your favorite cake or cupcakes. Enjoy!