- 2 cups flour.
- 1 cup butter.
- Water to mix.
For the syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
For the filling:
- 1 cup khoya.
- 1 cup sugar.
- 1 tsp green cardamon powder.
- 1 tbsp almonds.
- Rub 1/4 cup ghee into the flour and knead into a stiff dough.
- Saute the khoya over medium heat till it looks slightly fried.
- Mix in the sugar, cardamom and almonds.
- Shape the filling into ovals about 21 cm length and 1 cm thickness.
- Make balls of the dough and roll out into 1 cm / 1/8 in thick rounds.
- Take a round, wet the edges with water and place a piece of filling over one half.
- Fold the other half over and press the edges together to seal.
- Either cut off the edge with a fancy cutter or make a design by pinching and twisting all along the sealed edges.
- Make all the gujiyas in this way.
- Heat ghee in a kadahi.
- Add as many gujiyas to fit in comfortably.
- Turn them over and lower the heat to medium.
- Fry until they are brown and drain on a paper.
- Make sugar syrup.
- Dip the gujiyas in it, lift and let dry on a plate.
- Fry the rest, increasing the heat for a few seconds before adding the next lot.
- The gujiyas are ready. you can eat them hot or cold.