As a food photographer, writer and food stylist, I explore life through delicious food one plate at a time. With NRW2017 coming up, I got to dine at Marula Mercantile in Karen. Their contemporary menu offers hearty healthy dishes bound to convert any meat eater to try a meat free dish.
Healthy never tasted so good!
Garden Pea Falafel
- 1 cup (250 grams) fresh garden peas
- 1/2 bunch mint
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/4 tablespoon ground chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 L corn oil (for frying)
- Blanch the garden peas in a medium pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove from the water. Cool in an ice bath for 20 minutes.
- In a food processor, mix the blanched garden peas, garlic, mint, and cilantro at medium speed for 1 minute.
Transfer to a mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the corn oil to 160°C. Use a small spoon to form balls, 30 grams each. Fry 5 pieces at a time for 4 minutes, until the exterior turns medium brown.
- Remove from the oil and pat dry with paper towels.
- Serve with roasted carrots and flatbread.