- 2/3 Cup of brown or white rice
- 2 ½ Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 ½ Tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tbsp of Cumin
- ½ Tbsp Cinnamon
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Medium-sized Sweet Potatoes (peeled and cut into cubes)
- 3 Small Carrots (thinly sliced disks)
- 1 Red Capsicum
- 1 Broccoli Bunch
- 2 Chopped Tomatoes
- 1 Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Cup of Vegetable Stock (or 1 cup water)
- 1 165ml can of Coconut Cream (or Coconut Milk)
- ½ a Lemon (juice)
- 1 Bunch of Spinach (or Kale)
- Chop the onion and the garlic into small pieces. Add to a medium or large pot with the olive oil and fry until the onion is translucent. Add the spices and the salt.
- Fry until the spices are fragrant. Add the chopped sweet potato, carrots, capsicum and tomatoes and fry for 3 – 4 minutes on a medium to high heat, turning the vegetables regularly to coat them in the spices and garlic.
- Pour in the can of crushed tomatoes, stirring it in with the vegetables and reducing the heat to medium.
- Cover and allow to simmer for 10 minutes. Pour in the vegetable stock (or water) and simmer for a further 15 minutes (covered) to allow the vegetables to cook.
- Add the rice directly into the pot (add more water or stock if the rice is not submerged). Allow to cook on a low heat for another 5 minutes with the lid off for the water to reduce, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the coconut cream once the dish has started to thicken and reduce.
- The rice should expand and thicken the dish while the rest of the vegetables continue to cook. Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon and add more salt, pepper (or chilli if you prefer) to taste. Add the spinach leaves last, mixing them in with the rest.
- Serve with chilli, coriander and mango to give the dish an extra kick.