Looking forward to Nairobi Pizza Festival can be tricky. The days don’t seem to move and your craving grows as the days go and seasoned with 1/4 clove minced garlic, pinch of black pepper, Spanish paprika and salt)
Spicy Pepperoni Pizza Recipe
- For the dough
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tablespoon yeast
- 1 1/2 cups (350ml) lukewarm water
- 1 1/2 tablespoon (20ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons (12g) salt
- For the topping
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 800g can whole peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 400g mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 15 slices spicy pepperoni sausage
- 1/4 cup cooked minced beef (cooked and seasoned with 1/4 clove minced garlic, pinch of black pepper, Spanish paprika and salt)
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon, chopped (optional)
- Put the flour onto a clean work surface and make a well in the center.
- Dissolve the yeast in the water and pour the mixture into the well.
- Gradually start incorporating the mixture into the flour until a loose dough starts to form, then add the oil and salt.
- Knead the dough until smooth and elastic, then rub with a little oil, cover with plastic wrap and leave to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Grease a 12-inch round pizza pan with oil.
- Transfer the dough to the pan and using your fingertips, spread it to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Loosely cover the dough with lightly oiled plastic wrap and at room temperature for at least 2 hours, becoming light and fragrant.
- To make the tomato sauce base, heat oil in a large heavy frying pan.
- Add garlic and cook for 1- 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and break them up into small chunks with wooden spoon.
- Simmer for 15- 20 minutes, until most of the liquid has evaporated and sauce has thickened.
- Add salt, oregano and red pepper flakes to taste. This makes approximately 1 2/3 cups of sauce.
- When the dough has risen, spread 5 – 7 tablespoons of the tomato sauce evenly over the surface.
- Arrange the mozzarella, pepperoni (at room temperature) and minced meat on top. Sprinkle bacon, if using.
- Let the pizza rise for another 40 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 220°C for 5 minutes, then bake for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly and the crust is golden brown.