Initially, my thoughts on how to eat sausages were nothing but common: throw them into a hot wok, fry them and enjoy them as a side dish; preferably with chips. That was always enough to have your taste buds screaming for more but after a recent trip to Farmers Choice my take was shifted when I learnt there’s more than one way to cook up a delicious meal while incorporating beef sausages. They are fun and easy to make. Try them out!!
1. Beef Sausages Lyonnaise
- Fresh ripe tomatoes
- Beef sausages
- Purée the tomatoes to a coarse consistency. Cut the onions into strips, purée the garlic to a smooth consistency.
- Pan fry the onions till golden brown; once the colour is achieved, add the garlic and sweat till cooked. Add the puréed tomato and cook till the tomato purée is hot and cooked through
- Pan fry the beef sausages till entirely brown and serve with the sauce.
Goes well with mash potato or mash banana.
2. Sausage with Onions, Tomatoes, Peppers and Cream
- Cook sausages till golden brown and remove them from the pan.
- Put garlic first then onions and cook till brown. Add the tomatoes and sliced bell peppers to simmer.
- Add the sausages and let the liquid reduce.
- Lower the heat and add fresh cream. Bring back to simmer.
- Remove and serve with potatoes or rice.
3. Low Fat Beef Sausages with Vegetables
- Low-fat beef sausages
- Assorted vegetables
- Place your low-fat beef sausages in a non-stick pan. Do not add oil.
- Cook on a low flame or low heat on a hot plate.
- Keep rolling the sausages until they change colour.
- Once brown, remove from the pan.
- Add chopped tomatoes and onions and cook on low heat for 2 minutes.
- Place the sausages back in the pan and cover with a tight fitting lid.
- Cook for another 4 minutes.
- Remove the sausages and season your cooked tomato and onion to your requirement.
- Serve your sausages with the vegetables and mashed potato.
4. Nice & Easy Sausages with Beans
- Take 200 grams of Beef Chipolatas
- Cut them into pieces and add one tin of Kenyan baked beans.
- Heat them under a low heat for 30 minutes.
5. Sausage Casserole Rice (Economical and nutritious, an ideal family dinner)
- 500g cold, cooked, Beef Sausages.
- 200g tomatoes, skinned and sliced.
- 2 level tablespoons tomato ketchup.
- 2 hard boiled eggs, chopped pepper and salt
- 6 tablespoons water.
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce.
- 100g grated cheddar cheese.
- Slice sausages into 1-inch chunks.
- Cook rice until tender and drain.
- Put tomatoes, water, ketchup and worcestershire sauce into a saucepan and boil.
- Add sausages, rice and eggs then stir in 75g cheese.
- Season to taste then transfer to a hot pot dish.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top then brown under a hot grill
Serve straight away.
6. Sausage in Parsley Sauce
- Take one 400g pack of Farmer’s Choice Spicy Beef Sausages
- Cook in a little oil till golden brown. Turn off the heat and rest the sausages in the pan.
- Prepare your parsley sauce.
- Melt 4oz butter in a pan and remove from heat.
- Add 4oz plain flour and mix well.
- Add a litre of milk into the flour and butter drop by drop and mix to avoid any lumps.
- Return to the heat and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add 2oz chopped parsley and bring back to heat.
- Pour contents onto the pan with sausages.
- Add a little salt if required and serve.
7. Devilled Sausages
- Take one packet of Value Pack Beef Sausages and fry for 6 minutes till golden brown.
- Add mustard and sweet chutney to the pan. Ensure that the sausages do not burn.
- Let the contents reduce till sticky and avoid burning.
- Remove and serve with rice.
8. Sausage & Courgette Kebabs (These are great for children as they are great fun to make too!)
- 200g of Farmer’s Choice Beef Chipolatas
- 2 medium-sized Courgettes
- Sweet pepper
- Cherry tomatoes
- Turn the oven to 200c/ 180c fan/gas. Cut the courgette and pepper into chunks with a knife.
- Push the wooden sticks through the cherry tomatoes, peppers, courgettes and chipolata sausages in any order.
- Brush your Skewers with olive oil and put in a baking dish. Put them in the oven for 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and the sausages cooked
Pile into a serving dish and arrange sausages on top.